Baking goodies for your aging loved one is a wonderful way to show them you are thinking about them, and getting into the kitchen to prepare these baked goods together can stimulate their mind and be meaningful quality time together. Unfortunately, baked goods can be unhealthy, and contain high quantities of fat, calories, and other additives that may not be aligned with your senior’s diet. With a few simple swaps, however, you can improve the nutrition of baked goods for your aging loved one so they can still enjoy their favorite treats and snacks, and even give their body what it needs.
Use the simple tips to improve nutrition of baked goods for your senior:
- Avoid trans fat by simply checking the label and choosing a vegetable spread made without hydrogenated oils.
- Replace saturated fat with rapeseed or sunflower oil.
- Swap out some or all of the refined white flour in your recipe with a whole grain version.
- Consider swapping some of the white flour in your recipe with ground almonds. This will add healthy fats and protein while reducing carbohydrates.
- Provide moisture and nutrients to bakes with vegetables such as spinach, carrots, and beets.
- Provide sweetness and cut down the sugar by adding fruits.
- Replace oil with mashed banana or applesauce.
- Rather than using a thick, butter or shortening-based icing, top cakes with glaze or powdered sugar.
- For both a shortcut and improved nutrition, rather than using butter, eggs, or oil in your homemade cake, choose a two-ingredient version instead. Pick a boxed cake mix and stir in 10 ounces of soda of your choice, then bake as usual. The soda replaces oil, eggs, and water, provides lift, and creates a much lower-fat. For further calorie cutting, choose a diet soda. Get creative with flavor combinations, such as a vanilla cake and orange soda, or chocolate cake and cherry soda.
Home care does not just have to be about managing physical issues, providing reminders for medications, or supporting mobility. While these are important services, your aging parent can get even more benefits from the customizable services of an in-home senior care services provider. The fully customizable nature of these services means your parent has access to exactly what they need to live the lifestyle they deserve. This includes services to boost and maintain their mental and emotional health and well-being. Stimulating their mind through activities such as cooking, researching, learning new skills, playing games, and more can help your parent’s mind stay sharper and more responsive as they age.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring home care in Summit, NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at 908-418-4299. Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison, Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.