The time immediately following a cancer diagnosis is one of tremendous change, thoughts, and decision-making. As a family caregiver for your elderly parent, you will play a vital role in their cancer journey, and that starts the moment they find out they are living with this disease. Some of the decisions that need to be made are urgent and will need to be made as quickly as possible, but there are others that can be made at different times in the care journey. One such decision is when to start home care for your parent. Having an in-home senior care services provider as a part of your senior’s care journey with cancer can be tremendously beneficial for your aging parent and for you. While there are many benefits to having home care as a part of your senior’s journey at any point after diagnosis, beginning it as soon as possible can be particularly meaningful.
Some of the reasons you should consider home care early in your senior’s cancer journey include:
- Giving your parent the opportunity to be actively involved in the selection process of the home care provider and to voice their opinion regarding their care.
- Allowing your senior the chance to get accustomed to the idea of receiving care from a care provider so they will be more comfortable with it and willing to accept it as their needs increase.
- Giving your parent the opportunity to create a schedule and routine with the care provider so they can get used to it and comfortable with this structure. Having the structure in place later when their needs increase can make it easier to adapt the care and increase it without dramatic changes to their daily life.
- Helping your parent to maintain their health as much as possible from the very beginning. Starting this journey with a focus on keeping their body strong and healthy can be a powerful way to give them a strong start as they face the disease, whether they decide to pursue treatment or not.
Simply because you are a family caregiver for an elderly adult does not mean you need to take on everything on your own. Delegating some of your senior care tasks to a home care provider can be one of the best decisions you make for your elderly loved one, and for you. An in-home senior care services provider can step in on a customized schedule designed not just with your parent’s needs in mind, but also the care you already give them. This means you remain at the forefront of their care while ensuring they have ongoing access to personalized care and support designed specifically to promote health, safety, and well-being as they age in place.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring home care in Linden, NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at 908-418-4299. Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison, Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.
- Senior Health: Is Spring Forward Still Affecting Your Elderly Loved One? Here’s How You Can Help. - April 7, 2021
- Senior Health: Physical Challenges for Someone of Advancing Years Can Be Made Easier with Elder Care Support - March 26, 2021
- Why Should Your Parents Check Their Blood Pressure at Home? - March 4, 2021