Kidney stones are hard deposits made of minerals and salt that form inside the kidneys. If your elderly parent has to deal with kidney stones frequently, you might be looking for some home remedies to help him manage his stones better. His companion care at home aide can monitor him by trying some of the suggestions here. Passing kidney stones can be very painful, but the stones usually cause no permanent damage. Depending on your parent’s situation, he may need nothing more than to take pain medication and drink lots of water to pass a kidney stone.
But if it’s a recurring issue, you may be looking for ways to reduce, eliminate and/or provide relief for kidney stones. Here are some ways to help your parent manage her kidney stones.
- Drink plenty of water. Preventing dehydration is one of the best ways to keep kidney stones at bay. Your parent should strive to drink three liters of water a day. Adding lemon to the water helps by providing some citric acid. Your parent can ask his companion care at home provider to help him slice up some lemons and put them in a large pitcher in the fridge each day with the goal of drinking the entire pitcher by the end of each day.
- Tea and coffee can also help reduce the risk of kidney stones but have your parent stay away from any fizzy drinks (such as soda pop).
- Reduce salt intake. Have your parent and his companion care at home team review the labels of any prepackaged foods to ensure they are not high in sodium.
- Try some fresh pomegranate. Pomegranate seeds contain a lot of vitamins that are great for kidney stones. They have astringent properties which help in easing kidney stone symptoms once your parent has developed a stone. If your parent hasn’t purchased fresh pomegranates before and needs some help removing the seeds, there are YouTube videos he can watch with his companion care at home provider to learn about the best way to remove and enjoy the seeds.
- Have an olive oil/lemon juice cocktail. Combining lemon juice with olive oil makes for a potent and efficient remedy for treating kidney stones. Combined, they are full of natural vitamins and minerals that are important in proper kidney health. Your parent should mix two ounces of olive oil with an equal amount of lemon juice and then drink it up. Make sure he has a nice glass of water to chase it with.
- Enjoy some basil juice to relieve pain. Basil tea is a great way to enjoy the benefits of basil as it works to balance the uric levels of the body. Mix the tea with a little honey each morning to help your parent find relief.
- Finally, encourage your parent to stay away from fast food and heavily processed foods if kidney stones are an issue for him. His best way to reduce the number of stones he has and then to make sure the ones he does get are small enough to pass without too much pain is to eat healthily and drink plenty of fluids.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring Companion Care at Home Services in Linden NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at 908-418-4299.
- Fun Spring Activities For Seniors - March 22, 2023
- Nutrition and Your Senior: How to Ensure They Eat Well - March 7, 2023
- Why Did Your Mom’s Personality Change After a Stroke? - February 23, 2023
Get Social With Us