5 Possible Reasons the Family Caregiver Refuses Help near Cranford, NJ
You have known your best friends since you were in grade school together. As you grew up, your lives took you on different paths and you lost touch over the years. Now that you are older, you’re using social media and other strategies to keep in touch. You have learned that she is a family caregiver, taking care of her aging father.
You’ve also noticed a change in her demeanor, her boisterousness, and even her happiness. Every time that you talk to her or see a post on Facebook or something else from her, it seems to be a complaint about this issue or that. You have offered assistance and encouraged her to seek out a professional in-home care provider for her father, but she has refused.
The more you see her struggle, the more you want to help but there is only so much you can do when somebody refuses assistance.
A family caregiver may refuse help for a number of reasons. Some of those reasons are below and they could shed light on the situation that you are facing.
- Pride. It is no secret that pride can be a powerful force in our lives. If you accept the fact that you can’t do something on your own, it can affect you personally and deeply emotionally.
- Guilt. The moment we accept the fact that we can’t help an elderly loved one, especially a parent, we feel guilty for it. That’s why some people try so hard to be there for their loved ones.
Sometimes it’s just not possible, but shaking the guilt off can be far more problematic than finding time to do everything you want or need to in life.
- Concerns about finances. Some people immediately assume that hiring an in-home care provider is going to be far too expensive. They also might think by relying on friends or other family members that they are letting their loved one down. If they are worried about the cost of a professional in-home care provider, they likely don’t realize just how affordable it can be.
- Naivety. Some people simply don’t realize that they’re overwhelmed with certain aspects of the care they are providing. They assume everything is fine and they are just stressed about work, family life, or some other issue that isn’t related to them being a caregiver.
- No time. If somebody has no time to do any of the things they used to enjoy, they probably assume they don’t have time to actually look into hiring a professional caregiver for their loved one.
It doesn’t take long to contact a couple of home care agencies in the area and start getting the help for their loved one that he or she deserves.
If you or an aging loved on need a break from caregiving near Crawford NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care. 908-418-4299 .
Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Crawnord, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison,Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.
- Activities Of Daily Living: Quick Tricks That Help Your Parents With Everyday Tasks - April 14, 2021
- Senior Health: Is Spring Forward Still Affecting Your Elderly Loved One? Here’s How You Can Help. - April 7, 2021
- Senior Health: Physical Challenges for Someone of Advancing Years Can Be Made Easier with Elder Care Support - March 26, 2021