Elderly Care in Rahway NJ
Spring is a wonderful time of year to be on an elderly care journey with an aging parent. The flowers are blooming, the trees are starting to become green again, and the animals are returning to enjoy the new season. Along with all of this freshness and rebirth, however, comes weather swings that can make it difficult for your aging parent to stay comfortable. Relying on constantly changing the thermostat, however, can put a strain on your parent’s utility bills and increase the chances that he will suffer from seasonal illnesses such as colds and sinus infections. Using simple tactics to address these weather swings without immediately reaching for the climate control system keeps your parent comfortable while saving money and reducing impact on the environment.
Use some of these tips to help your parent stay cool and comfortable as the weather warms up, but also prepared for those unexpected spring chills:
- Make it more predictable. Make checking the advance weather forecasts part of your regular routine. Each morning check a few days ahead and make a note of the possible weather on your calendar. This will help you to prepare your parent and guide decisions for clothing, outings, and more. If you are prepared for them, the changes in weather generally do not seem as shocking, making them easier to adapt to
- Use layering. Any time there may be variations in the temperature throughout the day or where you are going with your parent, use layering. Wearing a jacket over a short-sleeved shirt or even a T-shirt under a long-sleeved shirt with a light jacket lets you remove and add layers as needed. This will keep your parent much more comfortable that if he was just wearing a T-shirt or a thick sweater.
- Keep out the blankets. Spring is not the time to pack away those throws and blankets. Keep them draped on the backs of furniture or tucked into an easily accessible piece of furniture. That way if your parent gets chilly, he can just wrap up in a blanket rather than turning on the drying, irritating heat.
- Stay hydrated. Making sure that your parent gets enough to drink throughout the day is not just important for his functioning, it is also a good tactic for regulating body temperature. If the day will be warmer than it has been, offer ice water. This will keep his body temperature down and feel refreshing.
- Change his socks. The human body loses most of its heat through the top of the head and the bottom of the feet. This is why a simple pair of socks can be one of your best tools for springtime comfort. Now is the time to put aside those thick wool winter socks in favor of a more seasonal option. Choose cotton socks of medium thickness that fit closely rather than hanging loose. When your parent is feeling chilled, encourage him to put his socks on. If he gets too warm, he can take them off. This is also a great way to regulate temperature for seniors who do not like to wear too many layers. A lighter outfit and a pair of warm socks will keep your parent cozy just like a warmer outfit and being barefoot.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring elderly care services near Rahway, NJ, call the caring staff at Helping Hands Home Care today at (908-418-4299).
Providing Home Care Services in all of Northern and Central NJ, including Clark, Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Rahway, Linden, Summit, Edison, Elizabeth, Mountainside and the surrounding areas.
- Activities Of Daily Living: Quick Tricks That Help Your Parents With Everyday Tasks - April 14, 2021
- Senior Health: Is Spring Forward Still Affecting Your Elderly Loved One? Here’s How You Can Help. - April 7, 2021
- Senior Health: Physical Challenges for Someone of Advancing Years Can Be Made Easier with Elder Care Support - March 26, 2021